[www.inewsguyana.com] -Director of Prison, Welton Trotz has been ordered to post $100,000 bail after he appeared before Magistrate Fabayo Azore charged with sexual assault committed on a female junior rank of the Guyana Prison Service.
Trotz, who was unrepresented in court on Thursday, October 22, pleaded not guilty during the proceedings which was held “in camera”.
He told journalists he would be challenging the charges as he believes that they are trumped up and orchestrated by some persons within and outside of the prison service who wants him out of the system.
He is expected to make his next court appearance on October 27.
As a result of the criminal charge, he has since resigned as Director of Prison, noting that he did speak with Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan earlier today and among the discussion was the procedures to be followed once he appears in court.
A sexual offense charge is considered criminal and persons charged with the offense, especially those holding public office, would usually come in for pressure from members of the public to vacate their positions. Trotz is one of the few public office holders to have given up his seat immediately after being charged.
The investigation into the matter was ongoing since earlier this year but nothing was said about it by the former Home Affairs Minister or any other top law enforcement officer. The DPP on Wednesday recommended charges for Trotz after the police submitted their file with statements and findings of the investigations.