By Leroy Smith
[www.inewsguyana.com] – Yamkumeram Bissoon and her six children are now homeless after the one bedroom shack they called home went up in flames Tuesday evening (April 15) at Phase Two Good, Hope East Coast Demerara.
iNews (www.inewsguyana.com) which was the first on the scene, was informed that the house which had its electricity disconnected two weeks ago. It was noted that the woman and her eldest son – a 15 – year – old – were close by when the fire started.
She told iNews (www.inewsguyana.com) that her son informed her that he lit a candle and went outside to urine and when he attempted to re-enter the house, he realized that it was on fire.
Bissoon said that she was taking a shower at a friend’s house, when she learned of the fire.
Asked about the items in the home, Bissoon explained that the home was furnished with a fridge, chair set, stove and other household appliances.
The woman’s husband is presently in jail, after he severely dealt her several chops about her body during an argument some time ago.
Persons in the area report that the children do not attend school and that the 15 – year – old works at a lumber yard in the community while the other children roam the streets.
The residents called on the Ministry of Education and Social Services to look into the mater.