GWI employee granted $2M bail for causing road death

Shawn Ravindra Ramai

The accused: Shawn Ravindra Ramai. [iNews' Photo]
The accused: Shawn Ravindra Ramai. [iNews’ Photo]
[] – Thirty – seven – year – old driver attached to the Guyana Water Incorporated (GWI) was placed on $2M bail after he was charged with the offence of causing death by dangerous driving before Magistrate Judy Latchman on Thursday, March 6.  

Shawn Ravindra Ramai of Lot 15 Norton Street, Lodge, Georgetown, pleaded not guilty to the offence, which alleged that on Wednesday, February 26 at Nelson Mandela Avenue Public Road, Georgetown, he drove motor pick up PRR 2923 in a manner dangerous to the public thereby causing the death of Claude McPherson.

He was also slapped with three other charges and denied all, particulars of which said on the same day, being involved in an accident, he failed to render assistance by failing to take the injured person to a medical practitioner.

It is also alleged that on the same day being the driver of the motor vehicle, after being involved in the accident with McPherson he failed to stop the said vehicle.

Further allegations stated that after being involved in an accident with the deceased, he failed to report the said accident within 24 hrs of the occurrence.

Ramai was represented by Attorney – at – Law, Jonas Coddett who told the Court that his client is a licensed driver for six years and has been employed with GWI for some seven months.

According to the lawyer, four weeks before the accident the defendant reported to GWI officials that the vehicle had faulty brakes. The Court heard that on the night in question, Ramai was proceeding East along Mandela Avenue approaching Trench Road and was driving 45 kmph.

As he approached Trench Road, a person rode out to the Main Road on a bicycle with no lights and into the vehicle he was driving.

The Lawyer told the Court that his client came out to see what happened to the injured person but by that time a crowd gathered and they attacked him. The Attorney explained that his client then rushed into the vehicle to save his life and drove to his workplace. Coddett said the man was in a state of shock and confusion and went home.

After the publicity of the accident in the newspapers, he sought legal representation and on Saturday last he approached his lawyer.

Police Prosecutor, Joel Ricknauth did not object to bail but asked that the accused lodge his passport. 

He was also placed on $30,000 bail each on other three charges and the case was put off March 27 for statements.



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.