[www.inewsguyana.com] – Eight persons are now displaced following the total destruction of a home to fire and extensive water damage to another on Monday, February 10.
The two houses located at lots 55 and 56 Grove Public Road, respectively, were being occupied by a family of four and an extensive family. The fire also completely destroyed a recently CRV pickup and caused severe damage to a canter which were parked in the yard at the time.
Speaking with the media, a totally shaken and broken home owner Vanessa Higgins explained that her children were at school, she was at church and her mother had just left the house when the fire started. The woman said she was attending a funeral at the time.
Higgins said that a mechanic called her and informed her that the house was on fire. She said that persons confirmed that they saw a wire leading from the GPL pole to her house, sparking.
She said such is not a regular occurrence and it was only recently that the Guyana Power and Light Company came and detached her meter from the house and placed it on the pole.
Vanessa said she lost everything, recalling that she left nothing on the stove before leaving the house since she did not cook for the day.
Those homeless include an eight – year – old and a ten – year – old child. When iNews visited the scene, the damaged canter was still in the yard and the CRV was reduced to torched iron.
Next door, the occupants of that house had scrambled to save whatever they could. The yard was littered with household appliances and clothing among other items.