Criminal charges likely for several NOC Staff

0

 

By Kurt Campbell

Director of the Child Care and Protection Agency (CCPA), Ann Greene
Director of the Child Care and Protection Agency (CCPA), Ann Greene

[www.inewsguyana.com] – Director of the Child Care and Protection Agency (CCPA), Ann Greene told iNews this morning (Wednesday, June 18), that the Agency has gathered enough information that could see criminal charges being brought against several staffers at the New Opportunity Corps (NOC) in wake of sexual molestation and physical abuse allegations.

“We worked in collaboration with the police and I think we have found enough that could see these persons being charged,” she said.

Greene informed too that the Agency recently handed over a report to the Minister of Human services and Social Security, Jennifer Webster. Efforts to contact the Minister for further comments were unsuccessful.

Greene did indicate however, that there was strong evidence to suggest that the acts of sexual molestation and physical abuse do occur at the Onderneeming location.

When contacted, Crime chief Leslie James confirmed that investigations were still ongoing, after which a file will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), as customary, for her advice.

James said four staff members, who were named specifically as the perpetrators of such acts by students, were questioned but could not provide the details in relation to their responses.

The CCPA was investigating specifically the allegations of four teenage girls who were subsequently removed from the institution. The High Court has ordered that the girls remain with the Agency.

The girls were among a batch of students who escaped from the institution earlier in the year, alleging sexual molestation, physical and verbal abuse and ill treatment.

These claims were denied by staff both at the NOC and the Youth Ministry, including Minister Dr. Frank Anthony who claimed that the students were mischievous and were rebelling against discipline by absconding and later justifying that with wild accusations.  NOC-students

The political Opposition had called for an investigation to be carried out into the operations at the institution with the aim of ensuring the environment is conducive for the youths’ rehabilitation.

Currently, the findings of the 2012 fire and breakout at the location are yet to be made public. A preliminary report had recommended that the institution be closed for failure to reform children sent there.

The Youth Ministry had disagreed as it announced massive plans for the upgrading of the institution.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.