The two storey building was also home to a school bus driver and a part time electrician.
Roy Persaud,who owns the house, told reporters that he was at the Mandir when he saw flames coming from the building. He quickly rushed home but was unable to save anything.
While there has been no official report from the Guyana Fire Service on the nature of the fire, one eyewitness believes the fire may be electrical in nature.
She recalled seeing the electrical wire that runs from the house to the electricity pole sparking after which it caught fire and traveled, along the wire, to the house.