Bandit who shot and killed Police Detective remanded to prison


The accused, Dellon Abraham. [iNews' Photo]
The accused, Dellon Abrams. [iNews’ Photo]
[]The prisoner accused of killing Corporal Elias, after escaping from custody was today (Friday, January 10) remanded to prison by Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry.

Dellon Abrams, 23 of South Ruimveldt, Georgetown, was not required to plea to the capital offence of murder. It is alleged that on January 6 at Alberttown, Georgetown he murdered Detective Corporal Seburn Elias.

Police Prosecutor, Bharat Mangru told the Court that the accused was arrested by Lance Corporal Ramdatt at Sophia for an alleged break and enter and larceny offence and was beaten by public spirited citizens.

As a result, he was taken to the Sophia Health Centre and was seen by a doctor, who referred him to the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC) for further medical attention.

Mangru said that the accused was escorted by Corporal Ramdatt and other ranks armed with .38 revolvers, including Constable Green. The Court heard that Constable Green was left to ensure that the accused received X – ray and treatment.

During the wait, the accused requested to use the washroom and was escorted by Green with both hands in cuffs. After a short while, the accused rushed out of the washroom with the handcuffs on one hand only.

A scuffled ensued between Constable Green and Abrams and he managed to relieve the Constable of the firearm and made good his escape.

An alarm was raised by Green and acting on information, a party of policemen conducted a search in the Alberttown area, when Corporal Elias saw the accused stooping under the step with a gun in his hand. He confronted Abrams and demand that he handed over the revolver; instead the accused pointed in his direction and fired several shots.

Dead: Detective Corporal Seburn Elias.
Dead: Detective Corporal Seburn Elias.

According to the Prosecutor, as a result Corporal Elias was killed and Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Taylor returned fire and discharged four rounds from an AK47.

Corporal Elias was rushed to the GPHC and was pronounced dead on arrival. A post mortem examination was conducted and a warhead from a .38 revolver was retrieved from his body. The accused was remanded until March 3.



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.