St George’s Cathedral observed its 50th Anniversary of Consecration on Sunday, in remembrance of deceased Right Reverend Philip Elder.
Serenity filled the air as Bishop Elect Father Charles Davidson commenced the service. He reminded the congregation that they needed to live as one, turning their focus to the Creator. He explained that this special service was in recognition of the closeness and dedication the late Bishop had for God.
Davidson stated that reflection would be had on the last 50 years of Elder’s life and the impact he made on others during his ministry for the love of God. He explained that with Guyana becoming an independent country, Archbishop Alan John Knight recognised Guyana should have a son of the soil as its Bishop. This principle was adopted as Knight realised the Anglican Diocese of this country needed more Episcopal assistance.
He noted from the consecration of the deceased Bishop, the Anglican Diocese now has the opportunity to select a dedicated God-fearing individual to exalt and draw souls closer to the love of God.
The Bishop Elect related to the congregation the breaking of bread symbolises their oneness in the Lord, and solemnly asked members to reflect on the life of Elder during that phase. In recognition of his memory, a banner was unveiled during the service and hung in the church.
Born in 1921, Elder grew up and dedicated his life to God. He was educated at Codrington, Barbados and ordained in 1951. As he took up the mantle, his first post was as a Curate at St George’s Cathedral. He later dedicated his services to other areas such as St John’s Guyana and also internationally.
Bishop Elder was consecrated at the St George’s Cathedral in 1966. He was made the Bishop of Stabroek, Suffragan Bishop to the then Archbishop of the West Indies. He passed away on March 16, 2010.