By Kurt Campbell
[www.inewsguyana.com] – Health Minister Dr. Bheri Ramsarran told iNews late Tuesday afternoon (June 17) that there are no confirmed laboratory cases of the deadly disease, Chikungunya in Georgetown, contrary to previous media reports.
“People in the city can be calm and quiet, there is no outbreak nowhere in the city; as a matter of fact there is no outbreak in Guyana. There are three restricted areas with a handful of cases.”
He said the virus, which is spread by mosquitoes, was found in an individual who hails from Georgetown but was working in Berbice, Region Six when he was diagnosed. In this regard, epidemiological tracing work is ongoing.
According to Dr. Ramsarran the Ministry of Health has been able to restrict the spread of the disease to Region Six, particularly Port Mourant, New Amsterdam and Canje.
So far a total of 19 cases of Chikungunya have been confirmed in Guyana. The Minister explained that over 150 samples have been sent abroad for testing, cautioning that results are received daily and those numbers can rise. There have been confirmed cases of the disease that have resulted in deaths in other Caribbean countries. Guyana has recorded no deaths so far.
The Minister added that those persons who have been confirmed and are awaiting confirmation are being treated; adding that there is no specific treatment for the disease.
In this regard, He emphasized the need for prevention by cleaning the environment, fogging and indoor spraying.