Leaking gas cylinder blamed for massive fire on Sunday

Fire engulfs the building. [iNews' Photo]

By Leroy Smith

Fire engulfs the building. [iNews' Photo]
Fire engulfs the building. [iNews’ Photo]
[www.inewsguyana.com] – Fire Chief Marlon Gentle has revealed that the fire on Camp and Robb Streets, Georgetown on Sunday morning was caused by a leaking gas cylinder.

According to information received, from all indications, the gas cylinder was reportedly connected to a rice cooker and although there were other gas cylinders on the property, it was only one that exploded.

The owners of the facility sought to give the fire investigators the impression that only three persons were living inside the building, but the investigations proved otherwise, according to the Fire Chief.

The fire left millions in damage to the Chinese General Store, which was housed in the AH&L Kissoon’s Building. The Fire Service received the call just after 03:00 hrs by a male who said that he heard an explosion and then saw a ball of fire inside the building.

The former Kissoon’s Furniture Building was bought by a businessman who operates a general store, selling various items and also had a storage bond in another property to the back of that building, which was also completely destroyed.

Gentle called for there to be better usage of electricity in the home and in business places, as it is sometimes the sole cause of fires that leave so many persons at a disadvantage.

He also urged for proper supervision of children, especially at this time when they are out of school.



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.