The Ministry of Public Infrastructure today issued the following High Tides Alert and is urging citizens to take the necessary precautions.
PUBLIC ADVISORY (HIGH TIDES ALERT)
The Ministry of Public Infrastructure would like to advise the general public to take all necessary precautions during the spring tides period of January 21, 2016 to January 27, 2015. The predicted tide indicates above normal levels for this impending period. The Sea and River Defence Department considers the following areas to be particularly susceptible to possible flooding as a result of storm surges which may induce overtopping of sea/river defence structures:
- Johanna Cecelia, Cullen/Perseverance, Essequibo Coast; Charity & along Pomeroon River Banks
- Zeelandia/Moor Farm, Marionville/Bendorff, Good Success/Sarah – Wakenaam Island
- Thierens/Success, Maryville, Cane Field/Amsterdam, Endeavour/Blenheim – Leguan Island
- Crane to Ruimzigt, Anna Catherina to Leonora, W.C.D Parika, Look Out, Salem/Sparta, E.B.E
- Water Street, Georgetown, Kingston, Georgetown to Ogle, E.C.D, Mosquito Hall/Unity–E.C.D
- Bush Lot/Maida, Corentyne and Along the East Bank of Berbice River
The highest tides are expected to be on Sunday January 24, 2016 at 4:12pm at a height of 3.03metres and Monday January 25, 2016 at 4:49pm at a height of 3.02metres. In addition to the captioned locations, all persons residing along the banks of rivers and low lying coastal areas are advised to take all the necessary precautions against possible flooding. Precaution should also be taken by all mariners including those operating fishing vessels and larger vessels. Use of beaches and foreshore areas for recreational purposes during this period is not advised.
Contact Telephone Nos.226-0650, 226 -1070,226-4368, 225-7420, 619-3552, 654-4226, 654-4227, 662-4927.