GDF Captain remanded for murdering lover

Reona Payne and Orwain Sandy in happier times

Six days after shooting and killing his girlfriend several times about her body, at close range, the Guyana Defence Force Captain was on Friday morning arraigned at the Georgetown Magistrates Court.

A tearful and shackled Orwain Sandy was not required to plead to the indictable capital offence [murder] when it was read to him by City Magistrate, Judy Latchman.

The GDF Captain in court this morning

The court heard that on the 31st of March 2018, Sandy, while in the vicinity of First Street, Alexander Village, Georgetown, murdered Reona Payne, a mother of three.

He was remanded to prison and is expected to re-appear on April 24 2018.

Sandy’s was also ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.

Inews had previously reported that on the day in question, Sandy allegedly killed his lover,  Reona Payne by shooting her about her body 14 times.

According to eyewitness reports, the couple was in their car proceeding along First Street, Alexander Village when a heated argument reportedly ensued.

As such, Payne reportedly exited the vehicle after which Sandy followed, carrying a loaded firearm.

He then shot the woman once, resulting in her dropping to the ground. However, this online publication was told that Sandy proceeded to stand over her, and emptied the entire magazine on the woman.

The Captain then fled the scene and turned himself over at the Ruimveldt Police Station, where he reported the matter.

The police were also summoned by residents who heard the gunshots.

When INews visited the scene, the woman’s lifeless body was found on the road along with several spent shells which were recovered by the police. At that time, police were still continuing their investigations at the scene.

Meanwhile, at the Ruimveldt Police Station, Sandy was taken into custody as he was questioned as to what led to the brutal murder.

The GDF has since released a statement confirming the shooting and outlined that the Captain ‘was immediately interdicted from his duties.’

This online publication understands that Payne and Sandy had been together for quite some time. However, a few years back, the duo split and married different people.

After a while, they both reportedly gave up on their marriages and made their way back to each other.

Payne leaves to mourn three children from her marriage.



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.