Dominica PM declares ‘special disaster areas’ after storm
[CMC] – Dominica’s Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit has declared several areas ‘special disaster areas’ following the passage of Tropical Storm Erika.
Skerrit who made the declaration late Saturday, said this was necessary due to the loss of life, the destruction of property and the need for focused response in these areas.
The disaster areas include the communities of Petite Soufriere, Good Hope, Dubique, Petite Savanne, Pichelin, Coulibistrie, Campbell, and San Sauveur.
Skerrit also stated that continued focus will also be on the Douglas Charles Airport and Petite Savanne.
Meanwhile, regional carrier, LIAT has announced changes to its schedule due to the closure of the Douglas Charles Airport and the cancellation of several flights.
The airline says it will be operating an additional 29 services into Guadeloupe this week, to facilitate movement in and out of Dominica.
According to the airline, customers holding a LIAT ticket to and from Dominica will be allowed to change their flight to or from Guadeloupe, Martinique or St Lucia at no charge.
Twenty people have been confirmed dead since the passage of Erika and several communities remain cut off from the rest of the island.
Five Jamaicans Arrested in Shoplifting Scandal in the US
[www.jablogz.com] – A press release from the Walton County Sheriff’s Office has revealed that five Jamaican employees of Walmart, ages ranging 19 to 25 were arrested following an organized attempt to steal items from their employer.
According to the release it was determined the five employees, stole several items over the course of a few weeks. The crimes occurred between Aug 11th and August 22nd on more than one occasion involving all five suspects.
One of the suspects admitted in her statement that it was “an associate thing” and that they were “looking out for one another”. The scam went as follows; one employee would bring items to the register where their friend was working and scan items and then delete the items from the transaction.
Vasant threatens to sue over ‘defamatory’ election campaign statements
[www.trinidadexpress.com] – Trade, Industry and Communications Minister Vasant Bharath yesterday issued two pre-action protocols letter to Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley and corruption accused Jack Warner.
Bharath is alleging slander by both men for linking him to the settlement of a contract at State company eTeck to Super Industrial Services (SIS) and the purchase of a multi-million-dollar house in Shorelands.
Bharath, also a Minister in the Ministry of Finance, is contesting the St Joseph seat in the September 7 general election for the United National Congress (UNC).
The letters were issued yesterday by his attorney, Kelvin Ramkissoon.
With regard to Rowley, Bharath’s eight-page letter is making a claim for “aggravated and exemplary damages for slander contained in the uttering and publication by way of live television, broadcasts and re-broadcasts of certain words and statements” made at a People’s National Movement (PNM) political meeting on August 27.
Bharath contends there is no basis for allegations made by Rowley with regard to his settlement of a $75 million claim to a contractor.
Cuba to tackle drought with cloud seeding programme
The effectiveness of the two-month programme, aimed at increasing rainfall in the eastern end of the island will depend on the conditions in the clouds that will be targets of silver iodide that is used to facilitate the process.
Cuba previously used the cloud seeding technique to increase precipitation.
A Russian Yak-40 aircraft will be used to carry out the procedure.
According to Yosmany Gilll, an engineer at the Institute, the period between January to August has been the driest since 1901.