UPDATE: Bandits, Police ranks exchange gunfire during high-speed chase after Enmore robbery


* one bandit captured, three others on the run

  • gun, ammo, stolen car recovered

Police and gunmen exchanged gunfire shortly after a robbery at the R. Ramlogan General Store at Enmore, East Coast Demerara, yesterday afternoon.
Reports are one man was apprehended while three others are on the run. The robbery occurred at about 17:00hrs by a gang of criminals who were all armed with handguns.
The vehicle the bandits used in the robbery
The vehicle the bandits used in the robbery

According to reports, the armed men boarded a pink Toyota Raum vehicle after the robbery but Police gave chase and came under fire. As such they returned fire at the bandits in the escaping vehicle.

The shootout reportedly started at Enmore and ended in Bare Root Village, ECD, which led to the arrest of one of the bandits. The others reportedly abandoned the car and ran into the bushy area in the backdam.
Acting Crime Chief, Hugh Jessemy said the men had committed a robbery in Enmore and with quick response by the Police one was arrested.
Meanwhile, the Guyana Police Force, in a statement issued this morning, said “swift action” by its ranks  “led to the recovery of a stolen motor car, an unlicensed handgun with (12) rounds of ammunition and the apprehension of one of four suspected bandits who had robbed a grocer at LogWood, Enmore, E.C.D”.
Investigations revealed that about 15:45hrs yesterday, the grocer was in his home when he was confronted by four masked men, all armed with firearms, who assaulted him and demanded cash and jewellery.
The men then carted off a quantity of valuables inclusive of a licensed handgun with (15) rounds of ammunition and made good their escape from the premises. They then hijacked a motor car and proceeded in the vicinity of Bare Root.
They were then observed by ranks of two police patrols acting in a suspicious manner and upon realising that they had attracted the attention of the police, they opened fire on the patrols, abandoned the motor car and fled to the backlands of Bare Root. They were pursued and one suspect was arrested with an unlicensed pistol and twelve (12) matching rounds, whilst the remainders are still at large.
A number of live rounds and spent shells were also found in the stolen motor car which was taken into custody of the police.
The suspect is assisting with the investigation.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.