[www.inewsguyana.com] – Head of the Presidential Secretariat Dr. Roger Luncheon says a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed with a Chinese company for a pre-feasibility study of a deep-water harbour at the mouth of the Berbice River.
At his post cabinet media briefing on Wednesday, March 25, Dr Luncheon made it clear that the MoU executed does not in any way include obligations on the Government of Guyana.
“In so far as one, cost and financing the study, and two, using the outcome of the pre-feasibility study, there was explicit attention in the MoU to the avoidance to such obligation to the Government of Guyana.”
According to Dr. Luncheon, mining giants Reynold and Alcoa, in the mid 1990s, had been interested in a deep-water harbour, at the mouth of the Berbice River, which has led to the Guyana Government’s decision to proceed with signing of the MoU and its contracting of the Chinese company.
He said very soon the technical members of the firm will arrive in Guyana and would be engaged in carrying out the pre-feasibility study of the deep-water harbour.
“Reinforcing the government’s resolve, of course has been the disclosure of President Zee of the People’s Republic of China, of significant funding, developmental in nature.”
The announcement of the funding was made known recently at the CARICOM-China summit in Trinidad and subsequently at the Brazil, Russia, Indian and South Africa Conference (BRICS), held in Brazil.
Those funds, signed by the Chinese government, will be destined for infrastructure works in the Caribbean, of which Guyana is to benefit.
Speaking at a forum late last year, President Donald Ramotar said, “This harbour will help to integrate our countries and make us a marine hub; we can definitely become the bridge between South America and the Caribbean.” [Extracted and modified from GINA]