[www.inewsguyana.com] – Workers of the Guyana National Bureau of Standards on Tuesday, November 26 staged a protest action against the proposed five percent wage increase.
During their lunch break, the workers held placards and protested in front of the building. They are adamant that the five percent is not enough.
Earlier last week, workers of the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission along with nurses protested against the proposed increase.
The main opposition – A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) and the Guyana Public Service Union (GPSU) have said that the increase was worthless and is an indecent proposal.
However, government has since noted that it cannot afford to increase the annual five percent. According to PPP’s Central Executive Member, Anil Nandlall the Government would have loved to give more, since it would have been ideal for any political party. He explained however that such offers must match affordability, an affordability that does not reside currently with the Administration to offer more.
“The Opposition have lamented the lack of jobs and clamoring for greater increase, that is indeed a noble position but they have to remember that they cut 32 billion dollars out of the economy, how can you do this and not expect these consequences,” Nandlall added.
He said the opposition is largely accountable for the 5% increase having cut over $32 billion from the National 2013 Budget and as such, must accept responsibility.