By Kurt Campbell
[www.inewsguyana.com] – Guyana’s Foreign Affairs Minister Carolyn Rodrigues – Birkett has given the assurance that all Guyanese living in Venezuela are safe and unaffected amid ongoing political protest in that country.
When contacted on Saturday, March 1 by iNews for a comment on the welfare of Guyanese living in Venezuela, Rodrigues – Birkett said, “It is not all of Venezuela that is affected and overall the situation has abated. I am informed that most of the protests took place in about five municipalities or so and not in the areas where most Guyanese live.”
The Minister said so far the Government has not been informed of any Guyanese being injured and similarly no one has approached the Embassy to leave because of the protests.
“I should note that Puerto Ordaz (Bolivar State) has a large concentration of Guyanese and so far no one has approached our Honorary Consul to leave,” she added.
There were reports of several foreigners being detained as protesters and security clashed in what is widely being touted as an anti – government protest fueled by President Nicolas Muduro’s political opponents.
On Friday, February 28 Venezuelan Foreign Minister Elias Jaua made a short visit to Guyana. He was met at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport by President Donald Ramotar and Minister Rodrigues-Birkett.
Minister Jaua updated the President on the current situation in his country where at least nine people have been killed during protests over the past two weeks.
Meanwhile, there are reports of other regional territories making provision to have their people leave Venezuela and return home.