[www.inewsguyana.com] – The Guyana Fire Service has called for the immediate dismantling of the First Federation Building.
According to a statement disseminated by the Government Information Agency (GINA) and signed by Fire Chief Marlon Gentle, the ‘derelict’ building is an eminent treat to life and fire safety.
The Fire Service said that this call is based on a correspondence received from the Chief Government Electrical Inspector on July 8, highlighting the many fires and life threatening conditions.
The Fire Service subsequently conducted an inspection at First Federation which revealed the following hazardous conditions on the premises:
– The office building is being utilized for the plying of their respective trades and professions in a haphazard and unsafe manner.
– The concrete and timber structure is in a state of disrepair and deteriorated to such a state that the timber materials have rotted and the concrete materials have lost their construction integrity and can no longer carry out their engineering and fire resisting purposes.
– The electrical wiring throughout the building was found loose and hanging, along with electrical points and outlets that were not properly insulated. Additionally, it was observed that numerous illegal and temporary electrical wiring with unsafe connections used to provide electricity from a Portable Generator positioned near the main entrance. Further, there is no legal connection by the Service Provider (GPL)
– A large quantity of garbage, unwanted and unserviceable materials were found throughout the building (on the various floors, corridors, within the ceiling and the vacant offices/rooms).
– The above conditions have deemed this structure as a Derelict Building.
In this regard the Fire Service recommends that all occupancy of the building be sized forthwith and that stringent efforts be made regulatory authorities and owners of the building to either renovate or reconstruct the building or have it dismantled.