[www.inewsguyana.com] – Some residents of Essequibo are not pleased with the move by the President David Granger led APNU+AFC administration to discontinue the $10,000 cash grant that was started last year under the People’s Progressive Party/Civic administration.
Hundreds of residents from Essequibo – mostly women – have threatened to take to the streets with protest actions if the governing APNU+AFC Coalition do not revisit its plans to shelve the cash grant.
Residents told Regional Chairman Devanand Ramdatt and Vice Chairperson Nandranie Coonjah that they are frustrated by the move, which they described as a huge injustice to the poor.
The parents say they are at a loss as to why they are being denied the financial aid so that children can pursue their education. Other residents said the education grant assisted them in many ways to send their children to school.
Minister of Governance, Raphael Trotman, told a post cabinet media briefing on Wednesday, July 15 that the initiative was badly implemented and that it is “fiscally unsustainable.”
He said that the project is currently under review and that government wants to ensure that the poor and vulnerable should be the main beneficiaries.
“Cabinet has been advised that it is fiscally unsustainable because when one studies development economics, when you give a grant or a cash transfer, it has to be targeted; it must be accompanied or guided by a means test, so that you ensure the most vulnerable in society are the sole or if not the primary beneficiaries, that is the poorest of the poor,” Minister Trotman said.