An early morning fire at Chateau Margot, East Coast Demerara, has left a mother of two counting her loses and being forced to make alternative living arrangements.
Basmattie Vivekanand, the sole occupant of the house, located at Lot 4 Chateau Margot, ECD explained that she was on the Embankment Road along with her son who is visiting from overseas, when she saw fire emanating from the building. The flames were reportedly spotted following an explosion in the house on Monday morning.
From all indications, the fire might have started after a bottle in which the woman kept gasoline exploded. As a result of the blaze the woman was unable to salvage any household items.
While she cannot confirm the cause of the fire, she explained that she kept a bottle of gasoline in her house and it might have exploded due to the heat. “I have a weeding machine and would buy gas to work it so it could be that that blow”, the distraught woman added.
Vivekanand went on to say that she has lost almost $100,000 in Guyanese currency and another CDN$200 along with a quantity of items that her husband sent to be sold.
At this point, tears trickled down her face as she stated that she does not have any money and is now forced to live with her sister. With a few pieces of clothes that she removed from the clothes line, she noted “this is all I have left”.
INews understands that by the time the fire tenders arrived at the scene, the wooden structure was already engulfed in flames. Both the Guyana Fire Service (GFS) and the Guyana Police Force (GPF) have launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident.