A family of nine is now counting their losses after the rental home they were residing in at Agricola, East Bank Demerara mysteriously caught afire while almost everyone in the house was asleep.
When INews arrived at the scene, firefighters were already in action and it appeared as though they had managed to save majority of the two storey building from being totally destroyed.
According to 20-year-old David Webb- one of the residents who occupied the home- smoke was seen emanating from the building at around 20:55hrs.
He recalled that he was on the road, some distance away from his home, when he was informed of the fire.
Webb reportedly began shouting for his family members who were sleeping at the time of the incident.
The man told INews that he resided at the home owned by a woman –identified as Valerie James- with his aunt, uncle, siblings and cousins- ages 52,44,46,19,26,16,7 and 5.
No one was seriously injured, but Webb’s 52-year-old uncle had received minors burns to his hand in trying to assist the younger children out of the burning building.
It is believed that the two storey wooden and concrete building was set alight due to electrical issues.
Investigations are ongoing.(Ramona Luthi)