“Short Boss” confesses to gunning down mason at Sophia party

Confessed killer: Travis “Short Boss” Evans
Confessed killer: Travis “Short Boss” Evans

Travis Evans called “Shot Boss” on Monday appeared before High Court Judge Sandil Kissoon and pleaded guilty to a manslaughter charge over the August 2, 2018 killing of 21-year-old Ronsley Clarke which took place at C Field Sophia, Greater Georgetown.

Evans, 26, was initially indicted for murder by State Prosecutor Tyra Bakker.

According to the prosecutor, on August 2, 2018, Clarke, a mason, of Timehri, East Bank Demerara, was at a birthday celebration in the community. The prosecutor added that while sitting next to a horse cart with his friends, Evans, who was armed with a gun, walked up to Clarke and shot him.

After the shooting, the prosecutor told the court that Evans made good his escape. He was subsequently arrested, and according to the prosecutor, he gave Police ranks a caution statement in which he stated that he and Clarke had a disagreement a day before, and as a result, he shot him.

Reports are that Clarke was shot to his right-side rib and his right-side upper back in the presence of his girlfriend. His cause of death was given as haemorrhage and shock due to gunshot wounds.

Dead: Ronsley Clarke

Sentencing for the confessed killer has been deferred to April 29 for the presentation of a probation report.

In the meantime, Justice Kissoon has ordered Evans’ lawyer, Mark Conway, to file submissions setting out mitigating and other factors he would like the court to consider in determining an appropriate sentence for his client.

Similarly, the prosecutor was also instructed to layover submissions outlining the aggravating factors and other matters she would like the court to consider when imposing a sentence on the confessed killer.

Evans is also charged with the 2018 murder of 46-year-old Gregory Frank. The charge against Evans alleges that between July 31 and August 2, 2018, at Kuru Kururu, Linden-Soesdyke Highway, he murdered Frank during the course of a robbery.

According to reports, Frank, a legal clerk, was found lying in a pool of blood in his Lot 686 Kuru Kururu, Linden-Soesdyke Highway home. The gruesome discovery was made by Frank’s father after he suspected something was amiss and decided to check on his son.

A post-mortem performed on his body revealed that the man died as a result of asphyxiation due to compression injury to the neck compounded by blunt trauma to the head.

Moreover, Evans is awaiting trial at the High Court in Demerara for rape. It is alleged that on October 30, 2010, in the county of Demerara, he engaged in sexual penetration with a woman without her consent.

He was also charged with robbing the same woman of $650,000 on the same date while being armed with a knife. To this charge, he pleaded guilty and was sentenced to three years’ imprisonment.

Evans was among three prisoners who escaped from the Lusignan Prison in October 2018.