Second time offender refused bail for causing death by dangerous driving

0
The accused, Floyd Archer. [iNews' Photo]
The accused, Floyd Archer. [iNews’ Photo]

[www.inewsguyana.com] – A 39 – year-old Mason of Yarrowkabra, Soesdyke, Linden Highway, was on Wednesday (February 19) refused bail when he appeared in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court before  Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry, charged with causing death by dangerous driving.

Floyd Archer pleaded not guilty to the offence which alleged that on July 10, 2013, he drove motor car PPP 9053 in a dangerous manner, causing the death of Stanley Singh.

Police Prosecutor Michael Grant told the Court that around 19:25hrs on the day in question, the defendant was driving his motor car proceeding West along the One Mile Public Road at a fast rate, while Singh was a pedestrian walking east on the northern side of the road.

He said Archer overtook a vehicle and collided with the now dead man. The Prosecutor successfully objected to bail citing the seriousness and prevalence of the offence. He informed the Court that the defendant is presently in custody for a pending offence of similar nature committed on Sunday, February 16, 2013.

Attorney-at-law, Clyde Forde who represented Archer made an application for his client to be admitted to bail.  He said that the deceased who was known to be homeless and was seen earlier that day purchasing alcohol and that the post mortem examination results showed that the deceased had alcohol in his system.

However, the objection was upheld and the matter stands adjourned until March 28.

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.