Pedestrian struck down by Presidential convoy, receives visit from Head of State

0
President David Granger

On Friday August 24, 2018, a vehicle belonging to the Presidential convoy was involved in an accident with a pedestrian on the East Bank Public Road.

According to a statement from the Ministry of the Presidency, the vehicle was part of a convoy headed to Georgetown.

At the time of the accident, President David Granger was not in any of the vehicles.

The pedestrian, identified as 29-year-old Herman John of Manaus Garden, New Hope, East Bank Demerara, was taken to the Diamond Diagnostic Centre, where after some treatment he was released.

At around 05:00h on Saturday President Granger visited the injured man at his home.

The Ministry of the Presidency said it has been informed that arrangements have been made for the injured man to receive further medical treatment.

The circumstances surrounding this accident are being investigated by the Guyana Police Force.

INews understands that the accident occurred on the Friendship public road around 19:30h on the day in question.

This accident comes on the heels of another involving Government vehicles that occurred recently outside of the Georgetown Club, following the PNCR’s congress.

While information regarding the accident with the Presidential Convoy was forthcoming, the same can’t be said for the latter.

One the vehicles involved in the accident being towed away

Festivities ended in chaos after at least five vehicles belonging to attendees — including the one attached to the Social Cohesion Ministry — became involved in a massive collision outside of the Camp Street, Georgetown venue.

Efforts made then to contract Social Cohesion Minister Dr George Norton for a comment on the issue had proved futile. Even then, details were sketchy.

However, both Police “A” Division Commander Marlon Chapman and acting Traffic Chief Ramesh Ashram had confirmed the incident.

However, while Chapman had noted that he had no information regarding what had transpired, Ashram had disclosed that one State vehicle belonging to the Social Cohesion Ministry had been involved.

The Traffic Chief had further explained that the multiple-vehicle collision was deemed minor, as only vehicles were damaged.

Unconfirmed information had surfaced that the accident may have occurred as a result of the PNC/R Congress attendees attempting to drive while inebriated.

Several persons were said to be injured.

It is unclear whether the Police had administered breathalyser tests on the individuals involved.

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.