One arrested, Police hunting four others in Laing Avenue fatal shooting


Police investigators have arrested one suspect whom they believe is connected to Monday’s shooting incident which left a Laing Avenue man dead.

Dead: Orin “Malik” David

Dead: Orin “Malik” David

Thirty-two-year-old Orin David, called “Malik”, of Lot 89 Laing Avenue, West Ruimveldt, Georgetown, was shot and killed on Monday around 15:55hrs in the vicinity of his home by four armed, identifiable men.
The Police have since reported that one person has been taken into custody and is assisting with investigations. Police sources confirmed that the suspect in custody is the owner of the car that was used to transport the suspects to and from the scene.
Meanwhile, according to a report in today’s Guyana Times, the gunmen fingered in the shooting are known characters to the Police and are reportedly from Agricola, Greater Georgetown.
Moreover, the Police had disclosed that crime scene investigators have recovered one empty 12 gauge shotgun cartridge and a .32 spent shell from the scene.
According to Police reports, “Investigations revealed that Orin David had an argument with one of the suspects earlier over bail money and the suspect left and returned with the other suspects. As the victim was approaching a vehicle in which the suspects were in, several shots were fired at the victim.”
The injured man was picked up and rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC) where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
It is understood that David had paid $150,000 to bail someone out of prison and when he saw the person on Monday, he confronted him about the money. However, the suspect left and subsequently returned in the company of three others. Three of the four men were reportedly armed with handguns.
According to a teenage nephew of the deceased, (who preferred not to be named), David was called by two men who had returned in a black Toyota Raum.
They were heard telling him that they did not want trouble but just wanted to talk.
“When Malik went over to the car, the fat man came out of the car with a big gun and pointed it in his face. Malik lashed away the gun from his face and the man slap him and chucked him. Before Malik could realise what was happening, another man that was in the car came out and shot him in his thigh,” the teen explained.
David was further shot in his shoulder by the other perpetrator. According to information, he started to run but fell a short distance away, and was shot again.
The men then hurriedly drove away.
David was previously charged for murder but was acquitted.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.