By Fareeza Haniff
[www.inewsguyana.com] – Executive Member of the Alliance for Change (AFC), Moses Nagamootoo believes the much anticipated debate of the No Confidence Motion would not reach the floor of the National Assembly anytime soon.
He told a news conference today, Thursday, October 16 that the government has an agenda and as such there will be no sitting of the National Assembly this month.
Now that Parliament is out of a two month recess, it is up to the government to request a date be set for its first sitting, however Nagamootoo says it is unlikely that there will be any sitting this month.
“At the Parliamentary Management Committee meetings, I raised the issue as to when Parliament will have its first sitting now that it out of recess. The explanation I got does not excite me nor should I believe it would excite anyone. I was informed yesterday that the government would not convene Parliament on October 22… It appears unlikely that the Parliament would reconvene on October 30, a week thereafter,” the AFC Executive told reporters.
He says the government’s excuse is that some Parliamentarians are scheduled to attend overseas trips, while there are other matters of importance to be dealt with.
“And so we are now marking time. I believe that we may now enter as I consider the clumsy or silly parliamentary season. It should be a concern to tax payers that our Parliament is not being convened. I believe that from the explanations I got, it appears as if the government is saying that there are Members of Parliament who are scheduled to go on trips overseas and that there are some other matters of importance that would require the Parliament not to convene anytime soon. I cannot hazard a guess, but I think the government has an agenda,” Nagamootoo stated.
Nagamootoo had written to Clerk of the National Assembly, Sherlock Isaacs last week demanding that the no confidence motion against the government be debated today.