Man accused of murdering wife in 2012 to know fate soon


Anthony Morrison, the man who was accused of murdering his common law wife between May 25 and 26 2012, will know his fate tomorrow as the defence and prosecution conclude their closing arguments today.

Accused: Anthony Morrison

On Monday last, a 12-member jury was empaneled at the Demerara High Court before Justice Sandhill Kissoon to hear the retrial of Morrison’s case.

When the indictment was presented, the accused once again denied that he murdered the woman between May 26 and 27 2012.

The state is being represented by Prosecutors Lisa Cave and Mandell Moore while Attorney-at-Law, Maxwell McKay is defending Morrison.

Police Lance Corporal Jason Kyte had testified before the 12-member jury that he found the body of the murdered woman with what appeared to be blood on her head, hands and face.

He recalled that on May 27, 2012, at the Brickdam Police Station, he told the accused of the offence after which the accused reportedly stated whilst in custody: “I was going out; she didn’t want me to leave. I had a knife and I cut she in she neck. Me an know that woulda happen to she,” Kyte recalled.

He also noted that he saw a man lying on a make-shift bed in a nearby apartment. Kyte said no one else was charged for the woman’s murder.

Murdered: Donna Thomas

Thomas’ body was found in a pool of blood with several stab wounds at the Lot 65 Cross and D’Urban Street, Werk-en-Rust, Georgetown home she shared with Morrison on the day in question.

Government Pathologist, Dr Nehaul Singh had given the cause of Thomas’ death as asphyxiation due to compression to the neck, compounded by blunt force trauma to the head.

According to him, the deceased had 16 incised wounds to one hand, while the other hand had six.

These, he said, were considered to be defensive wounds, which were not fatal but contributed to significant bleeding.

Thomas died as a result of being deprived of oxygen and the heart stopping, Singh had explained.

The post mortem examination on Thomas’ body was conducted on June 1, 2012.

During Morrison’s trial in December of 2015, the then jury was unable to arrive at a unanimous verdict. It was explained that the jury was split, with two finding Morrison guilty and the remaining 10 finding him not guilty.

Justice Priya Sewnarine-Beharry, who presided over that trial had said that Morrison would be remanded to prison to face retrial since the jurors could not all agree on a verdict.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.