The explosion of a kerosene lamp at an East Coast Berbice home has left a father dead and one of his two sons in the hospital with third degree burns.
Inews was informed that the father Deodat, 58, was refueling the lamp which was alight when it exploded and spewed the ignited flammable liquid unto himself and his 16-year-old son, Mark Deodat.
The incident which happened on Tuesday evening saw Deodat, a cane harvester, being admitted to the New Amsterdam Hospital. However he succumbed to his injuries on Thursday evening. The man’s son is now a patient at the Georgetown Public Hospital.
According to media reports, the neighbours heard screams and saw fire in the house at about 20:00hrs on Tuesday.
The cane harvester’s wife quickly summoned her 21-year-old son and he reportedly gathered clothes and used it to extinguish the flames from his father and then his brother.
The 16-year-old lad reportedly received burns to his upper body while his elder brother received minor burns in his attempt to save both of them.
The family’s house was also damaged from the explosion.