Aaron Hing and Staymon George have both confessed to law enforcement authorities of beating and burying a British teenager Dominic Bernard in a shallow grave in Berbice.
They were arrested shortly after the Guyana Police Force issued wanted bulletins for the duo to answer questions in connection to the disappearance of the British teen, and in the wake of the discovery of a decomposed body in a shallow grave aback Allness Village in Berbice.
Hing was reportedly found in a city hotel on Friday evening, while his accomplice was arrested at a house in Tucville, Georgetown on Saturday morning.
It is understood that after news spread about the discovery of a decomposed body at Alness village in Corentyne, Hing went to the city hotel.
The Police subsequently received a tip-off and went to the hotel where they took him into custody.
Further, after receiving information about George’s whereabouts, Police swooped down on a house at Tucville, Georgetown where he was arrested while attempting to escape.
INews understands that Dominic Bernard was brutally beaten by the two men who then robbed him of an undisclosed sum of cash. His ‘godbrother’ admitted that he and two others took the body to the back of Alness and buried it.
They reportedly ádmitted to investigators that they had collected the young man from the Cheddi Jagan International Airport on the night of October 14, 2015 but it was not clear when the murder took place.
One of the men reportedly claimed that it occurred on the night of October 14 and the other claimed that it was a week after.
The two murder accused were taken to the alleged scene of the crime by Police ranks. They have also reportedly implicated a third person for whom the Police are looking.
Samples of the decomposed body taken by detectives are expected to be sent overseas for DNA testing to determine if it was Dominic Bernard’s.
Police sources stated that based on the condition of the body, it had been buried for a long time, giving credence to the tale that the teenager was murdered on October 14 hours after he arrived in Guyana.
Meanwhile, relatives of the British teenager in a statement said that although no formal identification has taken place, they were devastated to have learnt that Hing and Staymon have confessed to the murder of the young man.
“Dominic was full of hope, ambition, creativity, self-respect, faith and trust. He was very much loved by all his family as well as a wide circle of friends. He was a talented film-maker and we are in no doubt that he had a bright and successful future ahead of him,” the family added.
The young man had travelled to Guyana on October 14, to pursue his dream of studying film-making.
Already an accomplished photographer, director and editor, with several music videos under his belt, Bernard was in the process of taking up an offer from an American school to work alongside and be mentored by established movie directors in the United States, the relatives said.
“Dominic has never been particularly academic, but he left school at 16 with five good GCSEs. He enrolled at a local college, but rather than sitting behind a desk, he preferred to be out there actually gaining experience by working and he has been very successful with his production company,” the family stated.
The body was removed on Saturday afternoon and taken to Ramoo’s Funeral Parlour to await a post-mortem.
On Friday, investigators, including personnel from the Major Crimes Unit (MCU), visited the village of Allness and then went into the backlands where the shallow grave was discovered.
The badly decomposed body was found in a one-foot sand grave which had been flattened at the top. At the time of burial, the body was clad in what appeared to be a white V-neck T-shirt and short pants; both were discoloured.
The shallow grave with the unidentified body was found about 200 meters off the Kildonan Middledam, three miles from the main access road.
Immigration documents proved that the teenager left London on Flight BW903 at 12:50h on October 14, and arrived in Trinidad at 17:30h the same day. He then boarded Flight BW483 from Port of Spain to Georgetown, arriving at the CJIA at 21:50h. Airport records show that the young man cleared immigration, but unfortunately, his trail ended there.
The father of the missing teenager made a report to the authorities after his son did not return home on November 7.