62-year-old father of 5 killed in collision with minibus

Christopher Singh

A former employee of the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) is now dead following an early morning accident on the Cummings lodge main road, Georgetown.

Dead is a 62-year-old father of five, Christopher Singh also known as Dado who resides at  Industry, on the East Coast of Demerara.

While reports on the incident remains sketchy, Inews was told that the man was returning home from his new job as a security guard attached to a firm in Kitty when he met with the accident.

Singh, who was the rider of a motorcycle, was allegedly hit by a minibus as he was about to make a turn on to the East Coast road.

Efforts to make contact with the police for more information proved futile, but the family of the deceased told this online publication that the story told to them by the police does not add up.

Relatives said that the police indicated to them that Singh turned into the path of the mini-bus; however, they posited that his injuries and the damages to his motorcycle were not consistent with the information relayed by the police.

The wife of the deceased indicated that her husband’s head had a gaping hole and the back of his motorcycle appeared to have been slammed in.

According to one of Singh’s sons, Ram Singh, he received a call around 07:30hrs on Thursday morning that his father had an accident. As such, he rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he met with the driver of the mini-bus and the police.

Ram Singh said his father was nowhere in sight and so upon inquiring, he was directed to his father lying on a bed. He said that the doctors at the facility refused to give him any information regarding his father’s condition and it was several minutes later before they finally told him and his family that the elderly man was dead.

“I believe if they had tried to save him, he wouldn’t ah died. They just lef he in a corner and ignored him. People in the hospital saying aye daz you family? I sorry fuh how they treat he,” Singh said.

Furthermore, the distraught family is also saying that the now dead man’s belongings were handed over to them at the hospital but all of his valuables including cash were gone.

An investigation is ongoing. (Ramona Luthi)


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.