$500M Crab Island onshore base to create jobs for Berbicians – Govt
Government is optimistic that a US$500 million onshore facility at Crab Island, Corentyne, Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) will in effect create job opportunities for residents of the Ancient County.
Government announced on Wednesday that it would be investing the US$500 million in the construction of an onshore oil and gas facility at Crab Island, which would cater for the expansion of exploration and subsequent production of oil in Guyana.
Construction on the facility, which will serve as a logistics and supply base to the offshore production, should get underway during the course of this year.
The Guyana Lands and Surveys Commission has been advertising leasehold lands close to the Island.
The facility is expected to create some 600 jobs, which could bring significant relief to residents of Berbice who continue to complain about lack of employment.
According to the Government Information Agency (GINA), the supply base could consist of sections including maintenance, fabrication, warehousing, spares, housing, and spares handling.
Technical skills such as welding would also be in demand during and after construction.
Last year, Natural Resources Minister Raphael Trotman had said that jobs which would be created through the establishment of the onshore supply base facility would enable and enhance the labour force.
Explaining why Crab Island was selected as the site for the onshore base, Trotman said that the current traffic congestion along Water Street, Georgetown makes that location unsuitable. However, the wharves along Water Street will be used for the first phase of the Liza development.
Earlier this month, oil giant ExxonMobil advertised for onshore service providers. John Fernandes Limited (JFL) and Muneshwers Limited were among the shortlisted companies. These companies have port facilities along Water Street.
However, Minister Trotman pointed out, “Everyone is thinking in terms of Exxon’s operations only, but suffice to say we can’t find ourselves thinking of one discovery and one company.”
ExxonMobil and its partners struck black gold when significant hydrocarbon reserves were found in the Liza Field. The oil find was officially declared to be of commercial quantity last year. The company has presented to the Government and stakeholders its development plans for the Liza field with the year 2020 projected for oil production.
Additionally, there are several other companies that were issued licences to explore Guyana’s deep waters. Those companies include Repsol, Tullow Oil, CGX, JHI, Eco Atlantic and Ratio Oil.
“Some point in time, all will be looking to reengage and so the idea is to find an available piece of land or property which can accommodate all the operations,” Minister Trotman pointed out.
Meanwhile, President David Granger on Wednesday gave Government‘s commitment to ExxonMobil, when he met with the oil company’s executives at State House. The Head of State said the Administration was committed to the development of Guyana’s oil and gas sector in an atmosphere of transparency and trust so that the parliamentary Opposition and the people of Guyana were fully involved in the process.
The President met with the executives to discuss matters related to the status of exploratory and appraisal work in the Stabroek Block. He said it was important that there are regular and accurate announcements on matters pertaining to the development of the sector.