4 years jail for teen who killed trio in accident

0
Nakash Persaud
Nakash Persaud

[www.inewsguyana.com] – After spending over a year on trial for causing death by dangerous driving, 18 – year – old Nakash Persaud was on Wednesday (July 08 ) sentenced to four years imprisonment.

Persaud was on trial in the Whim Magistrate’s court, for causing the deaths of Latoya Bagot, 19; her sister Wanita Bagot, 16 and their niece, Shamaine Cort, 3 – years – old, all of Philippi Corentyne.

On June 11, 2014 the three girls were walking home and were struck down by Persaud who was driving PPP 5842; they were pronounced dead on arrival at the New Amsterdam Hospital.

Dead: Two sisters. Latoya and Malika Bagot.
Dead: Two sisters. Latoya and Malika Bagot.

Persaud was found guilty by Magistrate Rabindranauth Singh three weeks ago. The sentencing was postponed on two occasions due to no probation report being available to be presented in court. The probation report was presented by Claudia Munroe, who indicated that Persaud attended school until he was 15 years old.

It was noted that he attended the Tagore Memorial High School but left, to aid his family in their business. The report also stated that Persaud received his licenses at the age of 18. Whilst presenting the report, Munroe informed the court that Persaud has expressed regret in contributing to the death of three innocent persons.

Dead: Shamain Bagot
Dead: Shamain Bagot

Meanwhile, his lawyer, Chandra Sohan, requested that the court exercise its discretion and be substantial towards the sentence. According to the lawyer, the parties tried to work out a financial settlement but failed to arrive at an agreement.

It was proposed that compensation of $1.5M be paid for each victim but their family wanted the all payments to be made at the same time. Persaud told the probation officer and his Attorney that on the night of the incident, he had consumed a couple beers and was travelling home when an object flew into his eyes. He explained to them that he became aware of the situation after he had struck his final victim and residents started to chase after him and he plunged into the trench.

Persaud first struck down Delroy Park at Kilmarnock Village Corentyne and ended his series of hit and run after striking down Matthew McBean.

After hearing the mitigation in plea and the probation report, Magistrate Singh handed down the sentence and told Persaud he had eliminated six months, three weeks from the time he had already spent in prison.

However, Persaud is expected to return to court on Monday before Magistrate Charlyn Artiga to answer additional charges of causing death by dangerous driving, failure to stop after an accident, failure to render assistance and driving under the influence of alcohol.

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.