The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Tuesday condemned the bomb attack in Manchester in Britain that left at least 22 people dead and nearly 60 others injured.
In a brief statement, CARICOM Secretary General Irwin La Rocque said that the 15-member regional grouping “strongly condemns the vicious terrorist attack perpetrated in Manchester, United Kingdom, on Monday evening.
“The fact that the majority of the victims were children and young people makes this vile action even more heart-rending,” he said.
La Rocque said that the “compassionate and helpful reaction by the citizens of Manchester to those in distress after the carnage, exemplifies the qualities of empathy and resilience of the people of the United Kingdom.
“CARICOM extends its deepest sympathy to the families who lost loved ones and wishes a full and speedy recovery to the injured. The Community stands in solidarity with the Government and People of the United Kingdom as they confront this latest assault on their nation.”
Meanwhile, the United Kingdom’s terror threat level has been raised to critical – meaning an attack is expected imminently.
Prime Minister Theresa May made the announcement after a meeting of Cobra, the government’s crisis response committee, on Tuesday evening.
The terror threat level had been severe – meaning an attack was highly likely – since 2014.
Greater Manchester Police has confirmed they believe 22-year-old Salman Abedi, who was born in Manchester, detonated a suicide bomb at the Manchester Arena on Monday evening after an Ariana Grande concert at the 21,000-seater venue.
The youngest known fatality is eight years old. (CMC)