A young boy who was severely burnt about his body some seven months ago is well on the road to recovery as he prepares to undergo another surgery within a few weeks in the United States of America (USA).
The lad, Shazim Samad, was admitted to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) with second and third degree burns to 40 per cent of his body (lower anterior extremities and his lower posterior extremities).
INews understands that the tragic incident occurred when an object exploded in a heap of burning garbage next to where he was playing and consequently his clothes caught fire.
Many thought that the boy would not have survived the life threatening injuries especially since the treatment he required was unavailable in the country at the time.
As such, the SHEA Charity was contacted on December 20, 2015 (the day after the incident) and the organisation began working on securing treatment services for Shazim in the USA.
While in Guyana, Shazim was kept in a stable condition at the GPHC and the SHEA Charity worked on finding treatment services, securing funding and ensuring that all of the immigration and other matters were taken care of ahead of his arrival in the U.S.
Shazim arrived in Texas on January 19 this year and immediately began his treatment course, which consisted of several skin graft surgeries, physical and psychological therapy, and on-hospital-campus schooling.
According to the SHEA Charity, he had progressively “gotten better week by week” and on April 11, Shazim returned to Guyana after completing his first round of treatment.
After his return to Guyana, Shazim re-adjusted to a life of complete normalcy. He re-enrolled in school and spent his free time with his family. Next month he is expected to return to the USA for a follow-up session (surgery), with the SHEA Charity expecting to stand all expenses.