Wanted man escapes police custody with cuffs on after being caught


… for fatal accident of Courts manager in Essequibo

After months of hunting for the fugitive driver involved in the fatal accident of former Courts Manager Chandanie Dass, police on the Essequibo Coast last week managed to apprehend the now 21-year-old driver, Nicklous Singh.

Acting on a tip-off, Police ranks nabbed the suspect at his parents’ home in Annandale Village, Essequibo Coast.

He was arrested by ranks attached to Police G Division (Essequibo Coast and Islands), and handcuffed. However, he escaped from custody with the handcuffs still on and is once again on the run.

Dead: Chandanie Dass

This newspaper understands that Singh was in Police custody earlier in November 2015, and was granted $150,000 bail. He signed a document to return to court, but was a no-show on November 18, 2015 at the Suddie Magistrate’s Court.

The then Police Prosecutor Ramsahoye Rambajue asked for an arrest warrant to be issued for the defendant, after he repeatedly failed to attend court.

The case had been adjourned on numerous occasions on account of the suspect’s absence. The particulars of the offence stated that on Saturday, August 2, 2014, on the Annandale Public Road, Essequibo Coast, the accused drove motor vehicle PRR 9027 in a manner dangerous to the public thereby causing the death of Chandanie Dass.

The question that now remains is if the parents of Singh should be charged for harbouring an individual wanted by the Police.


Dass, a 32-year-old manager of Courts Essequibo Branch, lost her life tragically after the vehicle collision on August 2, 2014 caused by the allegedly drunk and unlicensed Singh.

Dass was driving motor car PSS 3067 south on the Annandale Public Road when the vehicle driven by Singh (PRR 9027) slammed into her. She was returning from a wedding reception, along with her cousin, Ponnai Dass. Both women were pinned in the wreckage after the accident. They were pulled out and rushed to the Suddie Public Hospital by residents of the community.

Dass, who sustained extensive spinal and other injuries, succumbed on August 4, 2014 after she was air-dashed to the Georgetown Public Hospital. She was described as a very hardworking and determined young woman. The father of the deceased, Dhanraj Dass, said he would like to see justice done in his daughter’s case.

Ponnai Dass survived the accident, but still cannot come to grips with the entire situation. Other persons who were injured in the accident were Kevin Kumar, Shane Kumar, Linden Marks, Krishna Ramsamooj and Anthony Hanes.



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.