Update: killed bandit was ex Prison officer, injured accomplice checks into GPHC

The dead bandit has been identified as Troybon Munroe, an ex Prison officer 

Police have confirmed that one of the two bandits who was shot and killed on Tuesday morning during an attempted robbery on a Interior Flight Services Supervisor along the Railway Embankment at Liliendaal, East Coast Demerara was an ex Prison officer.

Dead is Troybon Munroe of East Canje, Berbice.

Munroe was reportedly dismissed from his position in March of this year after several breaches of the Prison Service Regulations, according to Crime Chief, Wendell Blanhum.

INews was also told that shortly after the botched robbery, a man- identified as Mark Griffith, 23, of One Mile, Linden- turned up at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) to nurse a gunshot wound.

Police believe he could be Munroe’s accomplice. As such, he is presently being treated for his injuries under police guard.

Around 09:45hrs this morning, a 42-year-old Interior Flight Services Supervisor and her armed security escort went to Ogle Airport in a motor car-driven by the supervisor- to collect several parcels.

However, as they were returning to Georgetown via the Railway Embankment, in the vicinity of the Giftland Mall Access Road, a dark coloured car reportedly pulled up and blocked their path.

Two men reportedly exited the vehicle, brandishing firearms and relived the woman of her bags.

Police say that at that time, it was unknown to the bandits that the woman’s armed bodyguard was also in the vehicle. As such, it came as a surprise when the security officer discharged several rounds at the men. The vehicle that the perpetrators arrived in sped away almost immediately after the shots were fired.

Munroe received three gunshot wounds about his body, while reports indicate that his accomplice- suspected to be Griffith- sustained one wound to his left abdomen. He managed to flee the scene on foot.

The ex-prison officer’s lifeless body fell to ground, a .32 pistol with with three live matching rounds were found next to him. He was subsequently pronounced dead at the GPHC. (Ramona Luthi)


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.