Three suspects in multi-million-dollar Casino heist remanded

2

Three men involved in the daring armed robbery attack at the Ramada Princess Casino at Providence, East Bank Demerara (EBD)  were today charged and remanded to prison for the crime.

The trio, inclusive of a security guard employed at the Casino, made their first court appearance this afternoon at the Georgetown Magistrate Court in front of Chief Magistrate Ann McClennan.

casino robbery 1Wayne Griffith of Bagotsville and Andre Blackman, both 29 years of age, along with 30-year-old Junior Stewart of Kitty were jointly charged for the armed robbery and will make their next court appearance on May 20.

They were not granted bail. The three men were represented by Attorneys-at-Law George Thomas and Mark Conway who told the Court that their clients were abused while in police custody.

It is also expected that other charges which include attempted murder will be laid against the trio in the near future.

The Court was told that the three men along with others invaded the Casino while firing shots on April 29 where they managed to rob two staff members a total of $8.9 million, which was the property of the Casino.

In support of their argument on behalf of their clients, the lawyers requested that the men be independently examined by a medical practitioner (doctor).

Two of the suspects trying to hide from the cameras today
Two of the suspects trying to hide from the cameras today

Griffith had been caught moments after the robbery took place inside the Casino and is said to have had a firearm in his possession at that time. Meanwhile, the Casino’s security guard, Blackman, had been arrested two days after the shooting and robbery took place when investigating ranks were told of his alleged involvement.

Law enforcement officials are of the belief that Blackman was the mastermind behind the robbery.

INews understands that the third suspect, Stewart, was arrested in a house on Sunday, last, and was found with a large quantity of wet cash and other valuables inside of the building. Investigators believe the cash and items had been taken from the Casino and its patrons during the robbery and shooting.

WhatsApp-Image-20160429 (2)A total of five persons, inclusive of employees who were working at the Casino when the incident took place had been shot and injured when the gunmen stormed into the casino around 03:30hrs on Friday, last. The perpetrators demanded money and valuables from the cashiers at the Casino as well as the patrons inside of the gambling spot.

Police are still on the hunt for two other suspects.  (Kristen Macklingam)

2 COMMENTS

  1. These people is a disgrace to our country and the people of Guyana can’t see that the PNC is not the government for the country look what the country has become since these people took office more worst .

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.