Following days of violent protests and unrest in West Berbice, the situation has returned to some semblance of normalcy today.
This is according to divisional commander Edmond Cooper.
“The situation is relatively quiet…Nothing is happening; vehicles are flowing back and forth,” he told INews during an interview at around 13:50hrs.
Commander Cooper said there has been no incidents for the day so far.
Nevertheless, members of the Joint Services are stationed at strategic points throughout the West Berbice corridor from Number Two Village to Mahaicony.
Additionally, with assistance from the law enforcement officials, vehicles are being allowed to traverse.
Protests have erupted in communities in West Coast Berbice (WCB) following the discovery of the badly-mutilated bodies of cousins 19-year-old Joel and 16-year-old Isaiah Henry on Sunday.
The protests started off as a movement for justice, however, they quickly descended into lawlessness with the blocking of roads; innocent persons being attacked and robbed; and private properties destroyed. In fact, as a result of high tensions in West Berbice communities, two persons have tragically lost their lives amid the protests.