By Kurt Campbell
[www.inewsguyana.com]–Commenting on the sexual video involving four school age Guyanese youths, Opposition Leader David Granger says while “sex happens” there is a need for higher level of sex education and better management within the school system.
Earlier this week, a video showing two girls and two boys from a popular city school involved in oral sex went viral on social media and even made its way onto the front page of the state newspaper – the Guyana Chronicle.
Granger believes it is a multifaceted problem and as such a multi-faceted approach is needed in addressing it.
“Boys and girls reaching the age of puberty experience changes in their bodies and it is predictable at that age group to have heightened interest in others sex,” Granger told a news conference today, Friday, October 10.
It is against this backdrop that the Opposition Leader reasoned that the onus was therefore on the Ministry of Education in ensuring that the sexual energy of students are not allowed to interfere with or jeopardize their studies.
“Handling of the case must go back to responsibility of Ministry of Education to conduct better education and better management to prevent such activities on school premises,” he added.
Granger chastised the Guyana Chronicle; saying the daily stooped to “gutter journalism” and exploited the behaviour of minors when it published the image of the students on its front page.
“They are children, not adults and it is unacceptable that any media house more the state media would descend to that level,” he lamented; adding that what has happened now stands to jeopardize the careers and self-esteem of those involved.
Minister of Education, Priya Manickchand, had also censured the State Newspaper for publishing the photos. The Guyana Chronicle has since issued an apology.
She noted that the Ministry is still investigating the video.
“We must as a nation (home, school, community,) address how we will engage with our children in this new world, this new Guyana where information technology presents all the exciting opportunities that we wish to make available to our young people while at the same time exposing them to such risk. We can no longer shirk our collective responsibility and bury our heads in the sand. We will have to talk to them about, inter alia, sex, about sex and the use of the computer, about sex and the use of the cell phone, about sex and Facebook, about sex… we will have to engage them as parents and as schools, as churches and temples and mosques.”
The police are also in possession of the video. It is not clear as to what course of action the Police Force intends to take.