Security guard gets 36 months for robbing GPSU headquarters

GPSU Headquarters at Shiv Chanderpaul Drive and Regent Road, Georgetown

One week after The Guyana Public Service Union (GPSU) had reported that on several occasions during last month, thieves have raided their headquarters, a security guard attached to the said union was on Monday sentenced to 36 months imprisonment when he appeared in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts for breaking into the building.

Dwayne Allen, 37, of West Ruimveldt admitted to the charge which stated that between July 27, 2018 and July 30, 2018 he broke and entered into the lot 160 Regent Road and Shiv Chanderpaul Drive, Georgetown headquarters and stole therein items to the total value of $980,660.

According to the prosecution’s facts, on the day in question the office was secured by employees who subsequently left the premises, which was being over looked by the accused who was employed as a security guard.

Reports are that after the employees left Allen decided to break and enter the building, where he carted off with the items and left the building unattended.

CCTV surveillance footage showed the man accompanied by another male breaking into the building. The father of three was later arrested and charge.

The prosecution further noted that none of the items were recovered.

Before handing down her judgment Magistrate Latchman told the accused “even if you were working for a cent, you were employed with the organization and you choose to steal from them, that was a bad thing”.

She then sentenced him to 36 months in prison.

President of the GPSU, Patrick Yarde.

At a press conference on Monday last, GPSU president, Patrick Yarde, said the robberies began on July 16, when a significant amount of cash was stolen from the accounts department.

He noted that, the previous Friday, an undisclosed sum of cash had been withdrawn from a city bank to be used to reimburse workers for travel purposes among other things, since the GPSU had been expected to host an executive meeting with members from all parts of the country.

Following discovery of the missing cash, the Police were called in.

The Union’s troubles did not end there, however, as thieves again entered the Union’s office and carted off a flat screen Sony television.

“The security (rank) that left at seven (19:00hrs) indicated that he (had) left the television downstairs and he (had) handed it over to the other security, but when he came back, the security was missing and the television downstairs was missing,” Yarde informed.

Police were again summoned on the following Monday morning, yet another robbery had occurred. This time, the thieves carted off another Sony television and documents.

Yarde said the thieves had again attempted to open the Union’s safe, as well as gain access to other offices. Damaged door edges shown to the media substantiated the GPSU story.

Yarde said he believes the criminals have inside information. “To get to my office, you have got to go through three doors; and it is amazing how precise the things people are going for. … As a matter of fact, we are even looking to see what inside information may prevail…”

The union’s president noted that after the first incident, there had been no upgrade to the GPSU security systems, although surveillance cameras were purchased. The cameras, he said, will soon be installed.



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.