Rio nightclub fatal shooting: Police still to make arrest


Although Police are following several leads into the fatal shooting of 19-year-old Ryan Sergeant at the Rio Nightclub in Queenstown, Georgetown on Monday, the three suspects are still at large.

According to a report in today’s Guyana Times, a former bodyguard of a well-known drug lord is among the three wanted by the Police for questioning into the murder.

Police sources confirmed that the three suspects were seen leaving the nightclub after they were reportedly thrown out after the initial altercation. They all had guns in their hands.

Dead: Ryan “Harry” Sergeant
Dead: Ryan “Harry” Sergeant

Moments later, the men were positively identified from the surveillance footage received; the Police went in pursuit of them, but came up empty-handed.

A source close to the investigation revealed that several popular spots that are frequented by the suspects were staked out, but the men never showed up. Detectives also visited the home of one of the men but there were no signs of him.

The Police continue to collect every possible lead that can assist them in cracking the case. Surveillance footage is also being reviewed with the hope of finding other leads.

A post-mortem conducted on Wednesday proved that the young man died from shock and haemorrhage due to a single gunshot wound to the head.

Sergeant, also known as “Harry”, of Lot 2530 Layon Street, North Ruimveldt, Georgetown, was shot dead, while another teenager remains in critical condition at the Georgetown Public Hospital. The injured teen is Jeffrey Ferrel of North Ruimveldt Housing Scheme, Georgetown.

The shooting incident reportedly stemmed from an argument over money and “girls” at the popular nightclub in the wee hours of Monday.

Sergeant was shot once to the jaw during an exchange of gunfire.

After the shooting, Sergeant was picked up by his ‘gang members’ and dropped off at the Woodlands Hospital.

Upon seeing this, the staff of the hospital took him to the emergency room, but he was already dead. While information remains sketchy about the shooting, it was also reported that the incident stemmed from a gambling spree within the nightclub.

Another version stated that Ferrel was involved in an altercation with one of the suspects, who in turn left the club with another friend and a female companion. Further reports stated that after the trio left, they were followed by Ferrel and the now dead man and the argument resumed.

During the argument, the suspect whipped out a gun and discharged several rounds, hitting Ferrel in the neck and shoulder. While attempting to rescue his shot friend, Sergeant was shot to the jaw. The suspects then fled the scene.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.