The Ministry of Public Infrastructure would like to advise the general public to take all necessary precautions during the current spring tides period which ends on March 27, 2016.
The predicted tide indicates above normal levels for this impending period. The Ministry’s Sea and River Defence Department considers the following areas to be particularly susceptible to possible flooding as a result of storm surges which may induce overtopping of sea/river defence structures:
- Johanna Cecelia/Zorg, Charity & along Pomeroon River Banks
- Zeelandia/Moor Farm, Marionville/Bendorff, Good Success/Sarah – Wakenaam Island
- Thierens/Success, Maryville, Cane Field/Amsterdam, Endeavour/Blenheim – Leguan Island
- Crane to Ruimzigt;Anna Catherina to Leonora, W.C.D; Belle Vue, W.B.D; Look Out, Salem/Sparta, E.B.E
- Water Street, Georgetown;Kingston, Georgetownto Ogle, E.C.D
The highest tides are expected to be tomorrow (Wednesday, March 23, 2016) at 4:12 am at a height of 2.96 metres and Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 4:41 am at a height of 2.95 metres.
Precaution should also be taken by all mariners including those operating fishing vessels and larger vessels. Use of beaches and foreshore areas for recreational purposes during this period is not advised.
For additional information, persons can contact the Sea and River Defence Department on telephone Nos. 226-0650, 226 -1070,226-4368, 619-3552, 654-4226, 654-4227 and 662-4927.