Police seeking coroner for further probe into death of 4-year-old – James


…says after police investigations inconclusive

4-year-old Ramkarran Mohan died from the injuries he sustained from the accident

More than three months after 4-year-old Ramkarran Mohan was struck down on the Tuschen Public Road, East Bank Essequibo, a coroner is being sought so that a further probe can be done into the matter.

This is according to Police “D” Division Commander, Leslie James, who on Thursday explained that an inquest is necessary after police investigations into the facts of the case file proved to be inconclusive. As such, an independent body such as a coroner – whose standard role is to confirm and certify the death of an individual within a jurisdiction-, is appointed to conduct a further probe.

The coroner will then make a pronouncement as to whether the female driver who allegedly struck down Mohan, is criminally liable.

Since the child’s death on March 14, 2017, his family has been calling for justice and have staged several protests calling for his killer to be charged.

Mohan, called “Ram” of Lot 1088 Tuschen New Housing Scheme died at the West Demerara Regional Hospital after he was struck and dragged under a moving car, a short distance from his house.

Inews was told that the former Tuschen Nursery School pupil was returning home with his five-year-old brother and uncle after they went to a shop obliquely opposite their home to purchase a ball.

The lad’s grandmother, Bibi Nazmoon Khan, had related that her adopted son, the uncle who accompanied the brothers to the shop, related to them that he was standing at the corner of the road with each of the boys holding his hands, waiting to cross, when a silver Toyota Primo, bearing registration number PVV 5084, struck the child.

Khan added that the woman removed the child from under the vehicle and had someone nearby drive them to the Leonora Cottage Hospital. However, due to the severity of his injuries, he had to be transferred to the West Demerara Regional Hospital, where he subsequently succumbed.

The distraught woman had related that her grandson suffered severe head trauma and had trouble breathing on his own. She added that while doctors were trying to insert a tube to aid in his breathing, he died.

Meanwhile, a post-mortem examination conducted on the body of four-year-old Mohan revealed that he died as a result of a fractured skull and brain damage.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.