The National Parks Commission has indicated that, on Easter Monday, it will be charging a nominal fee for vendors and patrons wishing to take their vehicles (buses, cars, SUVs, motor-cycles) into the Botanical Gardens and the Northern side of Joe Vieira Park. It said similar fees will also be charged at the National Park by the duly authorized franchise holder.
The Commission said these fees will primarily be used to offset the expenses incurred in cleaning the Gardens and Parks of the usual garbage and debris left in the aftermath of kite flying and picnicking at these venues.
The following arrangements will be in place at the following venues:
Botanical Gardens and Zoo:
- The opening of the Botanical Gardens Vlissengen Road Gate to vehicular traffic from 06:00 hrs (6 am) until 17:30 hrs (5:30 pm). ALL VEHICLES WILL HAVE TO EXIT THE GARDENS USING THE MANDELA AVENUE GATE.
- The Vlissengen Road Gate will be closed at 17:30 hrs (5:30 pm), and all vehicles must exit the Garden via the Mandela Avenue Gate by 18:30 hrs (6:30 pm).
- Entrance to the Botanical Gardens will NOT be permitted through the Mandela Avenue Gate (Eastern Gate).
- Vehicles will NOT be permitted to park on or in front of the Zoo access road.
- All events in the National Park on Easter Monday will be managed by an Authorized franchise.
Joe Vieira Park – West Bank Demerara
- The gates will be open to vehicular traffic from 07:30 hrs (7:30 am)
Additional trash receptacles and bags will be made available to the public at these locations. Patrons are asked to dispose of their waste in these receptacles. Park Volunteers will be present to answer any questions patrons may have and provide garbage bags.
“We look forward to your cooperation as we seek to enhance the conditions and services at the Botanical Gardens, Joe Vieira Park, Zoological Park and National Park,” the National Parks Commission stated.