Murder accused attacks, stabs inmate with knife

One of the inmate blocks at the 173 year old Mazaruni Penal Settlement.

– suspect alleges victim, other inmates plotted to kill him

A prisoner who is on remand for murder at the Mazaruni Prison, Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) took matters into his own hands and stabbed a fellow inmate several times after overhearing that there was a plot to kill him during breakfast.

Twenty-seven-year-old Wayne Gilbert reportedly told prison officials that he retaliated after another prisoner, who was also on remand for murder, attacked him on Wednesday morning.

Reports are that around 07:10h on the day in question, the cells in the “B Watch” section of the Mazaruni Prison were opened and it was then that a 28-year-old inmate, Rickford Jones, allegedly attacked Gilbert, stabbing him to his right hand.

A scuffle then ensued between the two men which resulted in Jones receiving two stab wounds to his right elbow, one stab to his left shoulder, and another to a left rib.

It was at this point that prison officers on duty became aware of the brutal fight and intervened. They then transported Jones to the Bartica Regional Hospital where he was admitted for treatment.

Meanwhile, Gilbert was escorted to the Bartica Police Station, where the knife used in the attack was handed over to the Police. During a caution statement, Gilbert admitted to stabbing Jones, but explained that he acted in self-defence.

He reportedly told Police that on Tuesday, he overheard a discussion among Jones and two other inmates making plans to kill him the following morning. An investigation has been launched into the alleged plot.

Less than six months ago, Samuel Little, 23, of Stewartville, West Coast Demerara, who was on remand at the Lusignan Prison Holding Bay, died as a result of injuries he received during an altercation with another inmate.

It was reported that the now dead man was struck with a piece of wood to his head several times.

Given the serious injuries sustained, Little had been taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital for emergency medical treatment and was admitted. However, he died shortly after while receiving treatment for his injuries.