Man accused of Campbellville double murder remanded


….as lawyer claims client tortured to confess  

Accused: Orlando Douglas

A 30-year-old man was on Tuesday afternoon arraigned at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court for the double-murder of the pandit and his son at Campbellville, Georgetown earlier this month.

Orlando Douglas was not required to plead to the indictable charge when it was read to him by the Chief Magistrate, Ann McLennan.

The court heard that Douglas is accused of murdering 61-year-old Deonarine Liliah and 28-year-old Gopaul Liliah at their Delph and Craig Street, Campbellville, Georgetown home during the furtherance of a robbery between July 7 and July 10.

The Attorney for the accused, Melvin Duke, argued that his client was picked randomly out of a crowd that had gathered at the scene of the crime on July 10.

He further stated that Douglas was not found with any tools or weapons, while contending that the accused is being tortured to make certain “confessions” regarding the matter.

The Police Prosecutor however, told the court that the accused was found in possession of a mobile phone that belonged to one of the deceased.

He was remanded to prison until the 31st of July.

This publication had reported that CCTV footage uplifted from nearby cameras revealed a masked man jumping the western fence into the deceased’s yard.

It further displayed the suspect entering the home from the northern door and exiting from the back entrance, with two bulky bags and a bucket in his hands.

Dead: Deonarine Liliah and his son Gopaul Liliah

The father and son lived in the upper flat of the two-storey wooden and concrete building, facing North at the junction of Craig and Delph Street, Campbellville in a fenced yard.

The lower flat is occupied by a 40-year-old home aid worker- a tenant of the deceased.

According to the tenant, she last saw the Pandit and his son at about 06:00h on July 7, 2018 in the yard and they spoke to each other.

She recounted that at about 21:00h the same day; she heard the sounds of someone walking heavily in the upper flat.

However, the woman said since then, she never saw the two again.

As such, on the morning of July 10, the home aid worker became even more suspicious after a questionable smell began emanating from the upper flat of the house.

To this end, a report was made at the Kitty Police Station and ranks visited the location.

Upon entering the flat, Gopaul Liliah’s lifeless body was discovered lying face down on the floor, in a pool of blood.

In addition, Deonarine Liliah was seen lying on his back in the living room with his head to the east and feet to the west. His face was also covered with the shirt.

Several other persons are still being interrogated with regards to the crime.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.