The Guyana Water Incorporated (GWI), is advising customers of another decrease in the level of the East Demerara Water Conservancy (EDWC) due to the prolonged dry season.
As a result, GWI says it will be reducing service provided to customers of Georgetown via the Shelter-Belt Water Treatment Facility from 22:00hours (10:00PM), commencing today, Wednesday February 3, 2016.
In light of this advisory, GWI customers are asked to store water.
GWI says it also wishes to remind customers of the need to ensure that water for food preparation, brushing of teeth, etc is stored in a tightly covered container to avoid contamination.
Customers country-wide are reminded to implement the following water conservation methods:
- Citizens are asked to CHECK ALL internal plumbing for leaks (including toilet cisterns, taps, etc.)
- REDUCE the amount of times in which you wash your car, equipment, etc. with water supplied by GWI
- DESIST from washing concrete surfaces (such as your yard or bridge) with water provided by GWI
- IMMEDIATELY install ‘float-valves’ in water tanks to prevent overflows
- Contact GWI IMMEDIATELY to report leaks detected in your community on 227-8701, 227-8703 or 227-8704