Guyanese man beaten to death in Dominican Republic


A Guyanese man who was among five stuck in the Dominican Republic since September 2018 was on Sunday morning found murdered there on a beach at San Pedro.

The dead man has been identified as 41-year-old Charan Kadar, formerly of Craig Village, East Bank Demerara (EBD), and of San Pedro, Dominican Republic.

Based on reports received, the badly beaten father of one was found on the boardwalk in the vicinity of the beach in a pool of blood about 09:30h by passers-by who immediately contacted the Police. He was picked up and taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

INews understands that the now dead man was having an affair with a Spanish woman and on Saturday, he noticed another man leaving the home. This reportedly angered the Guyanese man who confronted the woman and an argument ensued between them.

The argument reportedly turned into a fight during which Kadar assaulted the woman and left the house. In retaliation, the woman allegedly hired two men to look for him.

On Sunday, at approximately 08:00h, the two men turned up at Kadar’s home and called out to him. Upon enquiring, the two men reportedly told the now dead man that the woman wanted to speak with him and that he must accompany them to her house.

From reports gathered, that never happened. Instead, he was reportedly taken to the beach at San Pedro and given a thrashing. The two men allegedly left Kadar and went away. About two hours later, he was found bleeding from his nostrils with his face damaged.

His body also sustained severe injuries. This publication understands that the Police have since questioned Kadar’s landlord who saw the now dead man leaving in the company of the two men. In addition, the woman at the centre of the issue was taken into custody as Police in the Dominican Republic continue their investigations.

Kadar, along with Jason Hamilton of Friendship, East Coast Demerara (ECD); his brother, Jared Hamilton; Pretam Pamcham and Anthony Grant were all stuck in the Spanish-speaking country after authorities intercepted a cargo vessel.

It was reported that the men left Guyana on September 17, 2018, to work on a cargo vessel – The St Jude, which was heading to St Martin, the Dominican Republic and Haiti.

They first arrived in St Martin where they loaded 1000 boxes of cigarettes on the vessel, paid the duties and headed off to the Dominican Republic to collect 2500 cases of water, all of which were slated for Haiti.

Upon arrival in the Dominican Republic on September 22, 2018, the authorities carried out regular inspection of the vessel and did not find anything illegal, but still did not grant permission for them to leave.

Their passports and other documents were seized by the authorities in the Dominican Republic following allegations that they used a vessel for “financial terrorism”.

They were thrown in jail in late September 2018 without any criminal charge brought against them and were only granted bail in January 2019, but the authorities in the Dominican Republic still have their passports, so they cannot leave the country.

The situation was brought to the attention of Guyanese authorities who intervened by sending Vernon Robinson of the Foreign Affairs Ministry to have talks with the Spanish speaking-authorities, but nothing came out of them. Robinson had stated that the Ministry was awaiting the results of the court hearing.