By Jomo Paul
[www.inewsguyana.com] – The Guyana Government has officially rejected the explanation offered by Venezuela for a military aircraft landing at the Kaikan Airstrip in Essequibo.
iNews had reported that the chopper landed at the Kaikan Airstrip on December 03 and occupants inquired from two women of the community if it was San Juan, Venezuela.
When the women replied in the negative and informed that they were in Guyana, the craft took off almost immediately. It was noted that troops from the Guyana Defence Force had noticed the chopper but before they could reach the area it took off.
Minister of State, Joseph Harmon at a post cabinet media briefing on Thursday, December 10, stated that the government is not accepting the explanation offered since there were several other unanswered variables.
“Sometimes you can actually say these things happen because when you are flying across jungle territory, the definition of the border is not so clear…We cannot accept that to be the position in this case because a Venezuela Military pilot must know where he is going,” said Harmon.
Harmon was pellucid that government’s response would have been different if it had been a lost civilian aircraft.
“He must see that this is not Venezuelan territory, I can understand maybe if it’s a civilian aircraft he might have been disoriented but we will not accept this in this case,” the State Minister told reporters
In addition to dispatching a note verbal to the local Venezuelan Embassy, the APNU+AFC government has taken steps to inform the United Nations of this development.
Guyana and Venezuela are currently involved in a bitter border controversy with the Guyana government lobbying for a juridical settlement. The border controversy escalated in May this year when Venezuela issued a maritime decree claiming most of Guyana’s Atlantic waters. Since then Guyana has mounted an intense international campaign to rebuff Venezuela’s claims.