Fire guts house in Grove


By Ramona Luthi

Celebration of the ‘festival of lights’  ended on a sour note for five persons in Golden Grove on the East Bank of Demerara after their home was destroyed by a fire of unknown origin, which began at approximately 20:15hrs last night.

The home was reportedly rented to both the upper and lower flat tenants.

The house at Grove up in flames
The house at Grove up in flames

According to the lone resident in the upper flat of lot 214 Section ‘A’, Block ‘Y’, Golden Grove, East Bank Demerara, Troy Looge, he was returning home when he noticed the roof of the home on fire.

“My landlady called me to collect some fish, and I left to go to Campbell Street in Grove around quarter to eight and come back around eight thirty and see the house on fire,” he told INews.

Looge stated that he was unsure of how the fire began.

One of the tenants from the lower flat identified as Marlin Alec, stated that she and her daughter were not at home at the time of the fire. However, the two young men who were at home told fire fighters that they heard pots and pans falling in the upper flat.

Eyewitnesses stated that the first fire truck to arrive at the scene came without water, and a second one was called in.

Meanwhile, INews was informed by firefighters at the scene that it seemed as though the fire started due to negligence, explaining that diyas were lit and left unattended at the home.

It was also disclosed that the fire began at the back of the upper flat of the home, in the kitchen.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.